PROSOCIAL is a framework for improving the efficacy of groups that is being developed by the Evolution Institute. It is based on eight core design principles – originally derived by Elinor Ostrom for groups who manage natural resources – that are needed by most groups whose members must work together to achieve common goals:
- Strong group identity and understanding of purpose.
- Fair distribution of costs and benefits.
- Fair and inclusive decision-making.
- Monitoring agreed-upon behaviors.
- Graduated sanctions for misbehaviors.
- Fast and fair conflict resolution.
- Authority to self-govern.
- Appropriate relations with other groups.
See the new PROSOCIAL website for more information.